Saturday, 3rd.August 2019

The Stag and Hen Parties!

I make no mention of the Hen Party as I wasn't there. The Stag however I was, and it was an opportunity to meet Dan’s South African friends followed by Go-Karting, and then a meal at a restaurant. Now that I could handle!

The Stag was organised by Matt Bolton, aided(?) and abetted by Dan's brother Ben. In attendance were Dan's friends, most of whom were South African but one or two had made the journey from the UK for the event.

They were a great bunch of lads, and although I had never met any of them before I found them extremely friendly and engaging. Matt had laid on beers for those sitting out the racing which was a 'round-robin' affair, everyone getting a number of chances to qualify for the 'Final'. Fastest lap wins.

Stewart getting ready for the 'Green Flag'. Although I was urged to have a go I sat things out, preferring to record events on camera.

Ben (number 22) and Stewart (number 1) fighting it out round a bend... It's a job to know who wanted to beat who more - although there may be some dispute over who did best, I think it fair to say things were an honourable draw!

After several rounds of racing, a semi-final and a final, Challin Reid was declared the winner.

The winners podium!
Challin Reid (centre), Geoff (left), and Lloyd (right). Sadly, the champagne wasn't sprayed over the other competitors a la Formula One! Shame. It was the shot I was hoping for!

The Stag Party

Back Row left to right: Geoff, Challin, Lloyd
Standing: Ben, Matt Bolton, Stewart, Dan, (the awesomely named) Attila, Luke
Crouching: Julio (the Bride's father), Val.

The Stag's Meal

It was off to 'Dros' (pronounced dross) to fill our faces and imbibe of one or two drinks. Although the food wasn't really up to much the company was very good. I had a lovely chat to Val who is South African by birth but has spent the past twenty-odd years in the UK. He has a unique take on the respective merits of the two countries which was very interesting to hear as it more or less coincided with my own initial thoughts of the country which is still emerging from its Apartheid past.

Daniel being the Groom of course had to make some sort of spectacle of himself and donned a T-Rex costume for the remainder of the evening! I think Ben was responsible for this inflatable garb; it certainly kept everyone in the restaurant entertained!

Daniel wrangling the T-Rex which looks as if it's about to bite Luke's hand off!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog